.:: 每一个心情是诗 阅读是一种幸福 音乐是生命的旋律 照片是生活一点一滴的记忆::.

Monday, August 24, 2009

Low Back Pain

I have to admit even I myself suffer from lower back pain,
started recently when I sat in the plane for long hours flying back to KK last last weekend, probably only happens when you fly with budget airlines (the seat damn uncomfortable)

it felt better until this afternoon (hav to blame my awkward sitting posture on the floor using my laptop for long hrs), woke up with moderate dull ache in the middle of my lower back after napping on the couch, and 1st thing came to my mind: shyt! I have to treat 5 clients in a row this arvo, I only had 30mins to fix my backache! I reckon worst thing being a physio is you cant visit a physio as a client, well thrs no rule saying u cant, but I personally get embarassed with questions like: "what do you do for work?", "umm, Im a physio myself, and I suffer back pain", at least I can get my boss to treat me (if we can find time)

So I'd like to share how I manage the pain myself to prevent further deterioration, and I'll try to explain as simple as possible.

1st of all, when thrs pain = thrs muscle spasm (trying to protect the joint, causes more pain and restricted movement), so I usually recommend client to do this gentle stretch:

This is basically a very safe Yoga stretch for lower back, curling up in a ball (bottom down as much as tolerable, if too sore to curl up, just lift your bottom up), hold for 15 seconds, repeat 4 times and twice a day, hopefully to reduce your muscle spasm also open up the joints in your lower back

So 1st thing I did I had a hot shower and did my stretch like below:

Alternatively, you can use heat pack 1st and then do your stretch.
Well, I did feel much better after doing this (I know how my clients with back pain feel now) pls ignore my lousy drawings, clients have been telling me I need more stick figures training.

alright, the next thing is settling down the pain, when thrs inflammation = thrs pain, so pain reduces when inflammation is resolved, and it takes time!!!!! I only had 30 mins, so I need medications to help me to speed up the healing process, I took Voltaren 25mg x 2 tablets (after meal), not recommended if u are asthmatic or u get upset tummy easily, I should probably have taken it before having a shower, since it takes time for the meds to kick in.....

My back is feeling ok now, trying to avoid a few things like crossing legs, or lifting my legs up when sitting (big no-nos when u hav back pain, crossing legs twist your joint and lifting legs up pull on nerve can further irritate your pain), basically you want to avoid anything that can aggravate your pain so the inflammation can settle down nicely. The next thing I need to look at is sleeping pattern, I usually sleep on my back, so my back will probably feel sore in this position tonight, one thing you can do is to put a pillow under your knees so less stress on your back, if you sleep lying on your side, make sure you have a pillow in between your knees so your hip doesnt fall forward or backward (again, you want to avoid twisting your spine, otherwise you wake up feeling stiff and sorer)

ehhh, of course the next thing I recommend you to do is to see a physio!!!!! to regain your joint mobility and muscles flexibility after all that spasm/inflammation etc and to avoid recurrence, they give you the best advices muahaha ok hope this helps, I need to fix myself 1st :(

6 comments:

Sim said...

Is Voltaren over-the-counter medicine?

Issa Mommy said...

Yes! you can get it over the counter, voltaren rapid 25 hehehe

Issa Mommy said...

i personally reckon works the best hehe

Anonymous said...

Wow !!!!!! Katrina, what a blog !!! well, don't worry Katrina. 1 out 3 people are having back problems in Australia and the same statistics in USA. my friend who's a surgeon had told me. so don't worry, ure not alone. me too !! hehe. even at work, i see people all the time touching their lower back so u can see how many people are suffering from back problems. i would also advice you not to put ure laptop on ure thighs or other parts of the body. it damages muscles, its extremely dangerous. always use a table for the laptop. and sit straight always. that is how my back pain initially started. i used to sit in very awkward positions. and if you want, i can give you good yoga exercises for the lower back which has been very helpful to me. and be motivated like me to cure ure back. i'm happy i've come a long way. almost done with my back. almost there

Michelle said...

are u still taking voltaren? dont take it for so many days...stomach ulcers..and do ur pelvic floor and TA exercises!! ahaha

Issa Mommy said...

Haha mich!!! I only took for 2 days maximum hehe teach me pilates!!!!! :D